Friday, May 22, 2009

'car'puter resurected

A couple years back, I went all out and installed a PC in my '95 Chevy S-10. I purchased a MP3Car custom car computer and an in-dash motorized LCD touchscreen all from mp3car.com. Other than a 12V power supply that was shipped DOA, everything else worked.

A couple years later, I was parked overnight in the city and someone broke into my truck and stolen the radio and the in-dash LCD. On the bright side, they hadn't taken the actual computer that was behind the seat.

Recently I dusted off the computer and purchased a new 12V LCD touchscreen. I haven't yet spent the time to permanently mount the unit in the car, but I have attached the LCD mounting bracket to a spacer piece in the dash, above the radio.

Unfortunately the spacer isn't really designed to hold any weight, so I nailed a piece of scrap wood to it re-enforce it's ability to hold weight. Not the most elegant solution, but it works ;-).

With the LCD mount in place, and the computer wired up sitting on the passenger seat, the next step is going to be finding a more permanent and out-of-the way placement for the machine and all the wires.

No matter how it's mounted, it was definitely ready to take out for a test drive and do something fun with.




No comments:

Post a Comment